The excitement of buying your first kids fishing pole cannot be replaced! There’s nothing that beats the feeling of bonding as you teach your kids the art of fishing – a skill that involves control and patience.
There are a handful of best fishing pole options depending on the age of your child. We have laid out recommendations for toddlers to 3-4 year olds, 5-7 year olds and finish with our top rods for youth.
6 Best Fishing Rods for Kids
This is why you will need to take a moment and think about the needs of your child. What would be the best fishing rods, considering his/her age and experience? Well, this article will help you make a sensible choice.
Good Fishing Poles for 3 or 4 year Old and Toddlers
|1||Kid Casters JHKCGNTS1 No Tangle fishing rod||from $17.48||Amazon|
|2||Kid Casters Telescopic Paw Patrol No Tangle Fishing Rod/Reel Combo||from $12.61||Amazon|
|3||Kid Casters Telescopic Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle No Tangle Fishing Rod/Reel Combo , Green||$23.85||Amazon|
1.Lil Anglers Casters Combo – For 3 or 4 year Olds
Lil Anglers casters combo comes with a sponge fish lure that will immediately turn into a colorful lure once it gets in contact with the water.
- 34″ youth size, 3.1:1 gear ratio reel, with 6 lb line. Great for catching real fish, sponge fish, or just practice casting a plug
- 1 sponge fish training lure that instantly transform into large colorful sponge fish after being cast into water
- Pretied snap swivel prevents line twisting
- Practice casting plug with a large hole for simple clip on attachment to plastic hook
- Safe Plastic Hook that ties to any line and clips easily to casting plug and training lures
The rods also comes with a safe plastic hook that can be attached to any line, even by your child. Plus, it’s easy to cast, and even a beginner would have no problems using it.
Last but not least, its colorful design makes it perfect for children who like “flashy” stuff. They’ll be catching fish and feel cool at the same time. It’s the perfect gift to offer to your 3-4 year old.
Kids Fishing Rods for Ages 5-7
|1||Zebco 1245LFTKF 202 Flatboard Spincast Packaged Combo With Line||$21.59||Amazon|
|2||Zebco Fishing 404 Spincast Combo||$21.60||Amazon|
|3||Zebco/Quantum 33PL602M, 10C, NS3 Quantum, 33Pl/plc602m Platinum Combo||$49.60||Amazon|
2. Zebco Dock Demon Spinning Combos For 5 Year Olds
Five-year-old kids need action, a certainty that something is bound to happen – and all this with as little hassle as possible. This is why this lightweight model from Zebco is such a great choice for your kid. Made from stainless steel, this tool was made to be durable, yet lightweight enough so that your child is not bothered.
- Zebco 202 combo with Zebco 202 reel, 5-foot, 6-inch two-piece rod, and tackle wallet
- 2.8:1 gear ratio with all metal gears and durable ABS housing
- Stainless steel pickup pin; built-in hook keeper; star adjustable drag
- Reel comes pre-spooled with 10-pound monofilament line
- Medium action Z-glass with EVA handle
|Zebco 1245LFTKF 202 Flatboard Spincast Packaged Combo With Line||$21.59||Amazon|
Thanks to its Twist-Lock reel seal feature, you can lock the line in a certain position so that you won’t have to cast it. All they will have to do is place the line in a hot spot.
Equipped with a very comfortable EVA handle, you will have no problem keeping a grip. It will be soft to hold – like playing with a house pet. Plus, it’s non-slip and will stay in their hands, even under extremely wet circumstances.
The price is highly convenient, considering the quality that you get. It has a simple design to teach your kid the basics of fishing, but it also has all that it takes to make sure your kid grows into an intermediate fisherman.
Plus, it’s compact enough for you to put into a bug-out bag in case an emergency strikes. It measures 76 cm when extended, but you can collapse it until there’s only the handle – and just a few more inches.
3. Zebco 33 Platinum Spin cast Combos – For 6-7 year Olds
With a line that can go over 100 yards, this spin cast allows for a lot of moving space if your child wishes to learn how to cast. Plus, the line can be blocked if you have a particular spot you wish to fish in. This way, they will not have to cast a line; they will simply have to drop it into a hotspot.
- 4.1:1 HIGH SPEED Gear Ratio
- All-METAL body and handle, 5-bearings, Continuous Anti-Reverse
- Changeable right or left-hand retrieve
- Spooled with 100-yards of 10-lb Cajun Line
- 6-ft 2-piece Medium-action, Graphite Rod with Stainless Steel Reel Seat Hoods
|Zebco/Quantum 33PL602M, 10C, NS3 Quantum, 33Pl/plc602m Platinum Combo||$49.60||Amazon|
Made mostly of metal gears, it is fairly sturdy and can withstand even bigger catches. Plus, the retriever can be adjusted for both lefties and righties, making it comfortable regardless of your kid’s dominant side.
The rods are also made from durable, expandable graphite that is lightweight and easy to handle. For this reason, it’s very easy for children to carry it, without being heavily burdened by the weight.
The length can also be adjusted to fit both children and adults. All you have to do is secure it to make sure it stays in place, allowing you a much greater stability.
The design of the Platinum Spincast is also simple, yet elegant. There aren’t any extra, unneeded features, and your child will easily be able to learn the art of fishing. Some customers complained that the reel is fairly difficult to learn how to operate – but as long as you stick to the non-casting option, it should be easy to use..
Runner-Up: Zebco 404 Spincast Combo
Featuring a 15lb test line, this tool is perfect for catching lightweight to medium-sized fish. Plus, if you choose to go for the reel and cast it, you can send the bait even over 75 yards. The model also features an adjustable drag, as well as an on/off anti-reverse option that will allow your kid to become an independent angler.
- Quickset anti-reverse
- Dial-adjustable Magnum drag
- All-metal gears, stainless steel pick-up pin
- Pre-spooled with 15-pound line
- Comfortable EVA handle, durable fiberglass, twist-lock reel seat
The rod can be broken down into two pieces, making it easy to carry around. When in compact form, you may easily carry it in your bag, your fishing kit, or whatever place you hold your fishing gear in.
The rod is made of durable fiberglass, providing it a look of elegance – but also one of durability. Furthermore, the gears are entirely made of stainless steel metal which is not only durable but also rust-resistant.
Weighing only 13 ounces, this spincast is highly lightweight, making it perfect for children. Despite the fact that it’s so easy to handle, this tool can also carry a pretty big catch – even a catfish. Plus, thanks to its adjustable length, even adults can use it – turning it into a highly versatile product.
Fishing Rods for Young Adults / Beginners
4. Shakespeare Youth Ugly Stik GX2 – Best Youth Fishing Combos
Shakespeare, like Zebco, is one of those classic brands that you continuously hear about – and for a fairly good reason. Considering that it’s made from fiberglass, this one is a fishing rod that is hard to destroy.
Measuring about two meters (6 feet) when extended, this fishing rod is perfect for youths going from 8 years old to teenage years. The clear-tip design allows for superior responsiveness since you will be able to see perfectly when the fish grabs the bait.
- Youth Fishing rod and reel combo ideal for equipping the whole family for fishing trips
- Graphite and fiberglass construction offers lightweight durability and sensitivity
- Clear Tip design delivers added responsiveness and strength
- Lightweight EVA grips designed specifically for smaller hands
- Machined aluminum spool plus one ball bearing ensures smooth operation
|Shakespeare USYTHSP30CBO Youth Ugly Stik GX2 2-Piece Fishing Rod and Spinning Reel Combo, 5 Feet 6...||$31.99||Amazon|
The swivel can be blocked at any time so that you can drop the lure without casting – therefore concentrating on a specific spot next to you. This is a very convenient feature if you are fishing with your child on a boat, in areas where the fish are swimming very close to you.
Runner-Up: Steinhauser No Tangle Deluxe
The price is fairly average, considering the features that you gain from it. With the reel’s no-tangle ability, you and your kid can enjoy a relaxing day fishing – without struggling to untangle the line each time you pull a new catch or cast a new line.
- Engineered for SPINCAST reels (standard & micro sizes)
- 41inch Medium action inline fiberglass rod
- Adjustable seat EVA handle
- Spring loaded break action technology for ease of re-threading the line and changing out spin cast reels
- Spin cast Reel w/6lb line & 3.1:1 gear ratio – Fish Easy Friends!
Made from high-quality fiberglass, the durability of this tool speaks for itself. While it probably may not be able to handle extra-large catch, it may be perfect for small to medium captures (such as a catfish).
Unlike most rods presented in this guide, this one is more high-tech – maybe because it is designed for kids nearing their teenage years. They will have an easier time handling it, and they can reap more benefits as well – which makes this an appropriate tool for those who already have a certain level of fishing experience.
This does not mean that beginners will not be able to enjoy it. By simply securing the reel, you may use this tool as regular rods until you feel confident enough that you can nail the casting technique.
Furthermore, the adjustable seat EVA handle allows for a better grip of the tool, enabling both adults and children to use it.
Overall, this is a highly versatile rod that can be used by both youth and adults. Granted, it is a bit more professional than the other fishing poles – but then again, if they are children, it does not necessarily mean that they are also beginners.
If you are on a budget, you may not want to spend huge amounts of money on a fishing tool that your kid may use only every now and again. At the same time, it is not recommended to buy rods that will break at the first catch your kid makes. This is why the Plusinno is such a remarkable purchase; it combines high quality and affordability in a single rod.
- Kids will enjoy hours of angling fun with this PLUSINNO Fishing Kit. It comes complete with a telescopic fishing rod,spincast reel, line and fishing tackle.necessary fishing gear provided by plusinno.
- kit.The plusinno kit has a handle that fits comfortably in children’s little fingers and winds for retrieving the line. The rod is 3.94ft long and 2.2oz heavy. The telescopic design of the rod makes it easy to carry and store.
|PLUSINNO Kids Fishing Pole,Light and Portable Fishing Rod and Reel Combos Telescopic Fishing Rod for...||from $25.99||Amazon|
With the Plusinno Kids kit, fishing with your children will suddenly become a fun family activity. Measuring a total of 5 feet (1.5 meters) long, this pole is perfect for children under 8 years old. Plus, since it only weighs 2.2 ounces, it’s also very easy to carry and handle.
Its retraction ability makes it easy to store when not in use, so it does not take a lot of space. Furthermore, since it’s divided into four pieces, you can easily adjust it to fit the height of your kid.
Even adults can use this at full length – but it may be more suitable for beginners than advanced fishermen.
Made from EVA plastic, this combo is fairly durable. You can catch small-sized to medium-sized fish without any problems, and you may also use the spin cast fishing wheel to pull the fish towards you with ease.
The handle has been specifically designed for those with smaller hands, which means that children should have no problem keeping a grip on the pole if the fish bites. Plus, it comes with a set of fishing lures, which means that you will be ready to go fishing the moment you receive the package.
Spin Master Roland Martin Fishing Rod – Most Fun (Shoots 30 Feet)
If there’s anything that an 8-year-old really loves, it’s pretending that they’re launching bazookas or shooting with guns. This spin master roland martin rod is fun and so convenient for kids. Theoretically, it’s a combo with a line attached and rolled at the top. Practically, it’s a rocket that launches the hook in the water.
- Rod casts lines over 30 feet
- Pump-and-launch action eliminates snares and tangles
- Patented Safety Bobber hides the hook until it hits the water
- Storage compartment in handle for tackle pack and extra bobber
- Recommended for ages 8 years and older
The advantage of this kind of tool is that there will no longer be any risks of accidents. Basically, when your kid is throwing the line, the risk of missing the fish and catching someone’s eye instead is very high. With this item, they’ll be able to point exactly where they want the bait to go, and the launcher will do all the rest.
Furthermore, the hook is hidden within a safety bobber, to prevent any accidental hooks. Once the bobber hits the water, the safety will be released and the fish will be able to hook onto the bait.
This ‘rocket’ also features an in-built reel that allows your kid to pull the fish in once it has latched onto the hook. Furthermore, you have an extra storage compartment where you may pack a few extra bobbers and a tackle pack.
You might want to be careful when handling this model. Since it uses plastic instead of fiberglass and steel, it is more sensitive to breakage – so you might want to make sure your kid does not drop it against any rocks.
At 1.5 meters, the Shakespear salamander is a bit larger than your average model for beginners – which is why it is more suitable for those of intermediate or advanced level. It feels less like a toy and more like the real thing. It’s more appropriate for those who already know how to swing a cast or don’t have any problems maneuvering a bigger rod.
- Shakespeare SALSCPCBO pink
- Salamander Combo SC w/6lbs line
- Reel tubular glass 4’6 inch
Made from tubular glass, this tool is highly resistant to damage and is certain to last quite a while. Attached to the rods you have a push button reel that your kid can use to cast the bait. This is actually a feature that can be used by a beginner as well.
The rod comes in two pieces, which means you can easily break it down and store it in a more compact form. This makes it easier to carry around since it can be easily packed in a backpack.
Kids Fly Fishing Rod
It can be difficult to teach a child how to fly fish. A complete kit such as the martin combo is the perfect pre-spooled gear to get started.
- Pre-spooled fly combos with 5-wt line
- Metal clicker with on/off control
- Holds 50-yds/20-lb backing + fly line
- 9-Foot 3-Piece 5/6-weight fly rod
- Includes fly assortment and a guide to getting started
|Martin Fly Fishing Martin Fly Complete Fly Fishing Kit 6 Lb||$20.98||Amazon|
Fishing can be a great family activity – but in order to practice it, you will need a certain amount of skill, practice and the right tools.
Kids Fishing Pole Buyers Guide
Before looking fort a top rod combo for your child, you might want to ask yourself the following questions:
- What kind of fish will you be going after?
- What kind of waters do you plan on fishing in? Oceans, rivers, or lakes?
- What age is your child?
- What is your kids’ experience with fishing? Are they first-time users?
- How often will they be using the fishing rod?
With those questions in mind, you may use the buying guide below in order to choose the best fishing pole.
Benefits of Use
Before buying a fishing pole for kids, you need to come to an understanding of the benefits. Here are a few good reasons why you may want to go for a fishing pole rather than nets or hand lines.
- They’re accurate: With a fishing pole, you may place and drop the bait exactly where you want it – something that you cannot do with a regular reeling rod.
- There aren’t any complications: Very few things can go wrong with handling a pole, and the chances of getting a tangled rig are slim. This ensures that your kid will spend more time enjoying fishing and less time trying to untangle troublesome knots.
- You can control the rig: Even if you are fishing in a river or somewhere with fast-flowing water, a pole will ensure that you have full control over the rig – something that is really difficult to do with a reel.
- You get maximum bite efficiency: Unlike fishing reels that need to be cast, a pole will allow you to dive in a hotspot multiple times. Therefore, if you miss a bite, you can always throw back and there are chances to get a second bite.
Teaching your kid how to fish may not be so easy – but with the right tools, this family adventure might turn “daddy’s odd hobby” into a regular father-son/daughter activity.
It may be called a “fishing rod,” but there are different types of instruments that you could go for – and knowing the difference between all of them is crucial. Once you have decided on your destination, here are the types of kids fishing poles that your child might use on a fishing trip.
A fishing rod is a classic tool you see on any fisherman. They have a fixed line amount that you adjust with a lever, guiding the line and reeling in order to attract or bring in the fish. These rods are very useful when you are casting over larger areas that would have normally been very difficult to reach (for instance, the center of a river). You may also “block” the lines of most of these rods, therefore allowing you to place the bait wherever you want.
- Traditional Pole
A traditional fishing pole is pretty much a long stick with a line tied to the tip of the stick. Newer and better models can be seen as “convertibles,” considering that you can block the line at a certain point at the tip. They do not require casting, and they are perfect if you are fishing on a boat in a lake or an ocean, for instance. Traditional poles are also divided into three categories:
- Margin Poles: These are the shortest kinds of fishing poles for kids that generally go no longer than 2 meters. They are light, durable, and strong, making them perfect for juniors that are just starting out on fishing. Plus, they are also the most affordable types of poles available.
- Carp Poles: These poles are stronger, and are designed for catching bigger fish. They are appropriate for kids that are already familiar with fishing and the techniques behind it. The length is also intermediate, from 2 to 3 meters, and the prices are generally average.
- Match Poles: Match poles are generally the stiffest and most lightweight fishing tools available. They’re perfect for catching small to mid-size fish, and their length can reach 3 to 4 meters. They are also the most expensive choices, mostly because they are made of durable, high-grade carbon.
Depending on your destination and the fish that you are trying to catch, you must pick your fishing pole carefully.
What to Look for In a fishing rod for kids
First things first, you need to buy a fishing pole that is appropriate for the age of your child. As the child is just a mini-you, they cannot use the long ones that you have. Ideally, they should be approximately twice your child’s height – but you also need to ensure they are not smaller than one meter. If this happens, they’d have to stand fairly close to the water – which is obviously unsafe for them.
If you choose a pole with a spinning spool, go for one that can be fixed. This way, there won’t be any confusion on how to cast the line. Newer models for children can also have a “bazooka-like” casting system so that the child will not have to throw it themselves.
Also, look for simpler models that your child will be able to use – especially if it’s their first time fishing. Once the child grows and gains experience, you can go for a more fancy-looking fishing pole with more features.
Differences between Kid and Adult Fishing Poles
At a first glance, fishing poles for children and adults look relatively the same – except for a few aspects. First things first, the pole for a kid-model is no longer than three feet. If the road is shorter, the kid will not have difficulties in handling the catch.
Furthermore, a fishing rod for children uses materials that are more lightweight. This way, it will be easier for them to handle and eventually, learn how to cast – especially if they are very young. The more experience they gain, the more they will be comfortable with regular-weighted fishing poles.
Generally speaking, a fishing pole for children is much simpler in design – and therefore, children will not have trouble figuring it out. The moving parts are absent, and the mechanism is lightweight and simple. It can be time-consuming to teach a child how to fish – and if you do not do it right, the child might lose interest forever in the sport.
What to Avoid in a Fishing Pole for Kids
“It’s a fishing pole; how hard can it be to pick one?” This is where most people go wrong. There are certain things that you should and should NOT look for in a fishing pole.
Take, for instance, those toy-like rods. No matter how cute they might look and how you think your child will love the cartoonish design, it is better that you steer clear of such items. In truth, they are just what they seem: toys.
They are the opposite of a practical rod, and they will cause your kid more trouble than pleasure. The children will basically be spending half their time trying to untie a knot.